Search This Blog

Monday, August 10, 2009

Habanero Mango Hot Sauce


Right,
So I don't usually share my recipes for hot sauce with people but this was just me tinkering around in the kitchen with some beautiful habaneros that I happened by at the farmers market the other day. Remember these amounts are not too specific as I usually just throw things together.

Prep time 30 min
Cook time 1.3 Hours
Yields 3-4 5oz bottles

Ingredients
Two large handfuls Pretty Habaneros
1/2 Mango
4tbs honey
1-2 cups apple cider vinegar
1 small onion
3 cloves garlic

First if you really want to do it right you want to smoke the peppers and onions for 10 minutes. If you cant do that then just bake them at 400 for those same 10 minutes. This gives a chance for some of the heat to mellow and trust me, you want the heat to mellow even if you LOVE hot stuff. It also brings out some of the sweetness in the onions.

Next, de-stem the peppers (with gloves on) and put em in a pot with the onions and garlic (peeled) and enough vinegar to cover the mixture. Boil for about an hour with a tight fitting lid to retain moisture.

Next add the 1/2 a mango (cubed) and the honey. Let that cook for another 10 minutes and then remove the pot from the heat. Stir it up a little and check the level of the vinegar, if you don't have much now would be a good time to add some, more for a thinner sauce and less for a nice thick sauce (the way I like it) Wait for it to cool 20-30 minutes.

While you're letting it cool think about how great it's going to be when you finally get that vinegar smell out of your kitchen and how awesome a giant hood vents are. You can even cry over the pepper juice that got in your nose when you picked it and has been burning for the last 30 minutes. I hope I made my point here. This is a smelly slightly dangerous recipe here and can cause chemical burns if you don't protect yourself.

OK, Last step is to blend and bottle the volatile substance. I use an immersion blender that is easier to deal with than a stand up blender. The sauce should still be warm when you blend it so that when you transfer it to the bottles it will create a seal with the negative pressure of the cooling air in the bottle. All you scientist people out there can correct me if I'm wrong.

Next, you need to put it on something and eat it.
If your really adventurous try mixing 1/2 and 1/2 with butter for a mango habanero buffalo sauce for wings. I bet you cant eat more than 5.

P.S. Pictures will be forthcoming as I learn how to use this web-site.

No comments:

Post a Comment