Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Party Chopped Salad or Tuna Salad Salad

So I looked in my fridge the other day and realized that I had a few extra heads of lettuce.

Oh crap. what in the world am I going to do with all this lettuce. Wait wait... It's memorial day weekend, I'll be going to parties and cooking out all weekend! Why don't I attack these veggies like Vince Shlomi  and see what comes out.


You will need (and I'm not putting amounts this time, however much you want is how much you should chop up. Otherwise I'd end up with a recipe that serves 40)  :P


For the Salad
  • Lettuce
  • Carrots
  • Celery
  • Tomato
  • Vidalia Onion (it's just sweeter)
  • Yellow Pepper
  • Chick Peas
  • Sunflower Seeds
  • Croutons See the bottom of the tomato soup post on how to make these
For the Tuna Salad
  • Canned tuna (I like the albacore)
  • Celery
  • Carrot
  • Scallions
  • Spicy green pepper (Jalapeno or Serrano or both)
  • Red wine vinegar
  • Mayo
  • salt/pepper
For the dressing
  • 1/2 cup Olive oil
  • 1/2 cup balsamic
  • handful fresh herbs
  • handful toasty nuts (whatever you like)
 Ok so some more knife skills practice. Chop the lettuce up into 1 - 1.5 inch squares. Don't try and be anal just cut lengthwise a few times and then chop the other direction.

You're going to want to cut up all the veggies into generally bite size pieces. Basically nothing bigger than 2".

I shaved up some carrots with the peeler I mentioned on the other post. You can cut them however you like

 Cut up everything put it in a big container with a lid and shake to toss.

Ok. So it's time to whip up the tuna Salad.

Take the tuna out o the can. For this recipe I used 3 cans of Albacore tuna.

Squeeze the juice out of the can so we can get the tuna to absorb some of the other flavors we will be working with.

Chop up into tiny bits some of all of the following.
  • Carrots 
  • Shallots Scallions (whoops)
  • Celery, 
  • Hot peppers.

It should look something like this.




Now you can put together the wet ingredients. You need about a cup of mayo (feel free to substitute 1/2 cup with yogurt for less calories) 1/4 cup red wine vinegar, Salt / pepper. And mix.
Taste it. Yum. Now what does it need? I dunno. you make the adjustments you ninny.
So, last but not least

For the dressing
Chop all your herbs, Toast and chop all your nuts and combine with the oil and vinegar in a jar with a lid. Shake pour and enjoy.

Here's what it ended up looking like...

Yum.
And here is a picture of me and Stef and what we ended up looking like before the party on Saturday.
Woah.

No comments:

Post a Comment