Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Jambalaya done the right way




So I came across this recipe for jambalaya from Jerry Odum down in Louisiana. I decided to whip some up and here's what happened.
You will need
  • 1 lb smoked sausage ($3.00)
  • 4 chicken leg quarters ($4.50)
  • 1 lb uncooked shrimp, mussels, clams, crayfish, oysters or other seafood of your choice
  • Jasmine Rice (4 cups)
  • Bayou Blast (Emeril's spices) 4 tbsp
  • 3 Large stalks celery (diced)
  • 4 large sweet onions (large chop)
  • 2 bunches scallions (green onions)
  • 2 red bell peppers (diced)
  • 1 qt fresh chicken stock
So I started this one out by heating up my cast iron skillet over an open flame. Luckily I have a green egg so this was not that difficult. I put some Rajun Cajun Spicy smoked sausage on the edge and let it smoke some more (twice smoked sausage anyone) while I heated up the pan. (to about 300-350 it has to be cast iron)
I recommend de-boning the leg quarters. If you need help learning how to do that leave me a comment and I'll post it.

First prep your veggies like a good sous. Or be like the professionals and have someone else do it.

Put a drop of oil on the pan and spread it around with a paper towel. Start them skin side down after making sure there are no little bits of cartilage or gristle on the non skin side. Let them brown in the pan for a while 5-10 minutes then flip.

Like so.


Ok now set all that stuff aside and add in the onion and celery. Leave the grease in the pan. That is bayou culinary gold.

Now Jerry Odum makes this astute observation "[about the onions] Don't burn them or the whole recipe is screwed." I agree.

So this will cook for maybe 30 minutes or so while the onions get nice and soft and yummy.

You can use this time to cut up your chicken and sausage.
When the onions are ready add your meats and chicken stock till it just about covers everything. Let that simmer for another 15 minutes and you can add your other veggies.

Oh man. I just love these pictures.

Let that simmer for another 15 minutes before adding the rice and the shrimp/seafood.

Editor's note: when I made this I had to take 1/2 the recipe out of one pot and put it in another because I overflowed. You need a Large pot. This recipe will probably feed 10.

Make sure you get the pot off of direct heat after you add the rice or you will end up with crispy rice. Which is fine if you like that sort of thing.

Cook for 15 minutes until the rice starts looking good and then flip everything in the pan so that the rice from the top is buried. Add stock if necessary.

That's a lot of jambalaya.
Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment