Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Red Lentil Curry and Onion Cakes

So here's a side dish that I found online one time (a long time ago) and have never been able to find since. So I decided to give it another try. Lentils are an amazing food nutritionally and are really dynamic as far as things you can do with them. Be looking for the main dish tomorrow. Here's a hint. It's a stuffed leg of lamb.

You will need
  • Red lentils (1.5 Cups)
  • 1 Onion (Medium Chop)
  • 2 Tbsp Curry Powder
  • 1 Tbsp Garlic Salt
  • 1 Egg
  • 4 tbsp Flour
  • Veggie oil
This one's pretty simple and can be used as the main course in a vegetarian dish or vegan if you sub 1 tbsp ground flax seeds 3 tbsp water for the egg. Thanks to theppk.com for that.

Start by soaking the Lentils for a couple hours. Careful about the size of your container they will double in size.

Throw them in the food processor for a couple of turns until they are chopped but not a paste, like so.

Transfer to  a mixing bowl and add your other ingredients.

The egg, flour, onion, and spices all can go together and then give that a good stir.
Now you're ready to make your pancakes.

Heat your skillet over medium heat. Add some oil to the bottom of the pan it will start to lose viscosity as it heats. That's how you know it's ready. Smoking oil is probably a little too hot.

Make a patty and gently lay it in the pan. Remember you are cooking with hot oil, which was used as a weapon in the middle ages becasue it HURTS when you get it on you. Please be careful.

Keep your eye on them till they look good. Like this.
Throw a little salt on them and enjoy!
Yum.

They're pretty good cold too for picnics and the like.

This recipe probably makes 10-20 depending on how big you like your cakes.

I'm entering this dish in the side dish showdown on Cinnamon and Spice and Everything Nice which is a great blog that makes me drool every time.
Side Dish Showdown Blogger Event

5 comments:

  1. That looks tasty! And I just happen to have red lentils in my pantry...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of 2 recipes that I have for red lentils. I should probably keep searching. But these are so good it's almost all I do with them. Crispy on the outside soft and curry-y on the inside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of the most delicious ways I've seen lentils prepared...I don't like the way my mother makes them! I would love to try these. Thanks for sending this to the Showdown! And for the kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm I love red lentils, especially in fried patty form! Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Joanne! I've had the best response so far on these lentils. I may just have to go and experiment with them some more.

    ReplyDelete